Disability Cultural Center
The University of Arizona is one of the few campuses in the country to have a Disability Cultural Center! The DCC serves as a unique space for all students, faculty, staff and community members to explore and celebrate disability identity, culture and community. We offer a variety of events and programming that promote an authentic and intersectional perspective on disability.
The DCC has an accessible space on the second floor of the Disability Resource Center, where everyone is welcome to join any of our events, or simply drop by if you need a quiet space to study or recharge. Some of our programming is also hosted online in a virtual setting to remain accessible for all who are unable to visit our space.
We work towards embracing our disabilities and showcasing art, music, literature and other expressions of our lives and our culture created from disability experiences at-large. We aim to challenge disempowering perceptions that view disability as a deficit; something that must be cured or fixed, and instead acknowledging disability as merely another way of being. We welcome anyone who wishes to learn and engage with disability discourse, and/or find a sense of community on our campus.
Programs and Services Offered: The DCC offers a variety of programming for students, staff & faculty on campus and for Tucson community members.
- A discussion group about disability, ableism, & activism led by disabled students, offered twice a month.
- A four-part workshop series, ABLEISM 101, offered each semester. This workshop provides base knowledge about disability identity, culture and activism.
- Workshops & talks by national & local disabled speakers every semester.
- A quiet study space, with tea, coffee & snacks
- Virtual Movie Nights & Accessible Game Nights
- One-on-one Mental Health Counseling, peer mentoring, Neurodivergent Community Hour
- Student Symposium that provides disability-focused information on admission processes to attend the UA or surrounding colleges.
Check out our space in this mini DCC Tour (no captions)
Join the DCC Listserv for monthly Newsletters and updates!